Wednesday, March 7, 2007

GRRRRR

What is it with people and wanting to get me married? Every so often my mum receives a call from some family member or family friend with news that they have the perfect girl for me. The usual bo haari poyri, bo kerwiylie(spelling?) che. She can cook and was brought up very well (meaning she not afraid of household chores) and, if she comes from a rich family then they must add that she is not a snob and the money hasn’t gone to her head!

For gods sakes!!! Why cant they just leave me alone! To me they are taking the important act of marriage and trivialising it. Basically saying a good marriage partner is one that can cook and clean. I mean really if I wanted a cook or a servant id hire one.

To me a marriage partner is someone with great character. Someone with patience and understanding. Someone I could talk to about everything im thinking and not be judged. Someone who has respect and knows how to conduct themselves in different situations. Should these not be the first criteria when finding a life partner?

Generally women give up 90% of their lives after marriage. That in itself is huge! So what is the big deal if she cant cook? I would love to come home to a meal that my wife made a hash of and eat it with a smile on my face adoring her even more with every morsel just because she tried doing something for me, although she didn’t have to. Isn’t that what marriage is about? Understanding and growing a deeper bond with each passing day?

Women give up their freedom, their homes and comfort of having their parents there, their lifestyle, their dreams and aspirations (sometimes), all to be with you and yet you find men at shopping centres getting agitated with their spouses for taking to long. All she requires you to sacrifice is a few hours of your time and you cant give her that?

I guess what im trying to get at (in a very bizarre way)is that I don’t want to get married for the wrong reasons and end up being an ungrateful husband and wreck some poor women’s life because I wasn’t ready to get married.

I might have a very idealistic view of what marriage is about, but I also feel some people miss the point totally.

10 comments:

Isha said...

wow! wat wise beautiful tauts from one so young! Wah Wah! Masha Allah!! so u got anybody? cos i know this reallllllllly nice girl that will be perrrrrrrfect for u and she.......................... he he!!!! one more thing, plz lemme no the factory u were made in & ur brand cos i'v never come across any like minded men like u in my world! ;) Isha

safiyyamk said...

ure the first guy who has said that... and cooking should be a passion or for the love not beacuse she's a girl and she needs to know how to cook..

hitman jones said...

lmao @ isha...thanks for visiting..and for the compliment. :)

safs i agree with you.. we indians tend to place to much emphisis on food. we should eat to live and not live to eat.

h said...

lol - lots of gurls get the same crap from family and friends. U just turn 20 and everone pounces on you!- 'when are you getting married? you musnt leave it to late you know, otherwise ur mum will make achaar with you and leave you on the shelf' I like to shock all the aunties and say 'Im never getting married' its fun just to see the look of horror on their faces lol =)

r said...

wow.. didnt think guys like you existed. very honest post =) or maybe u jus said all that to get a nice girl to fall for you.. or maybe not. maybe the cynicism is eating at my brain. LoL. but really, its refreshing to see those kinda views from what im assuming is a young muslim indian guy..

hitman jones said...

hey haseena thanks for visiting..ive tried that im never getting married one..mum looks at me wif a wicked look and says over my dead body..im putting the ropes around ur neck very soon.lol

r..ur assuming right..i am young indian muslim..and that was a totally honest post..i grew up with a mum and three sisters..i know what women go through and so i have lots of respect for em.

bb_aisha said...

My first thght was-r u for real?then-is he single?hehe. My mum gets so mad when i tell aunties straight off im nt intrstd if the specs of the guy they mentn r'nt my type.but wots the point of meetin sum1 if u kno u r'nt goin2 b intrstd.my frnds n i always laugh wen we hear our degrees mean nothin-n talent is all in domestic abilities.but heck-we hav both :-p

Saaleha Idrees Bamjee said...

you're perfect.
marry me.


:)
i kid, i kid, my significant-geek would not be amused.

anyhoo. refreshing perspective.

taz said...

everyone's a marriagable commodity!!! no matter how much we try and deny it!

but, good on you... dont get married until you're ready!
but then again... if you keep to your words... she'll be some lucky girl :)

hitman jones said...

thanks to everyone for the positive comments. much appreciated.